7.15.2010

rebecca

you just lay there
  on the plush velvet cushions

waiting

          for the second coming
the prophecy.

I've seen all the signs and
                  I know you've felt it too -

- you rocking your body
                              and quaking as if in fright

feverish moans and purposeless gesticulations
  you wait for the second coming

                                                  are you afraid
are you welcoming it

you grab your hair and roll your eyes
  towards the heavens
  as if asking for mercy -
- for God's gracious mercy

you thrust your hand into your mouth
                   to stifle a cry

are you holding back a prayer

you
   look at me and
I
  look at you
your eyes are feral
                       and wild
and you mouth 'I want to die'
    and die you did
              with
the second coming,
       (the opening of the floodgates)

you twist and turn as if you are
     regretting your decision
and become
    violent
thrashing about
    screaming
for mercy and God

then
           you
        stop

and shiver as I reach for your hand

' I died tonight' you
            whisper to me

and close your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment