5.13.2010

souvenir


you can't do anything for me
okay            okay            okay
  and I hate it a lot

1974 came rolling by -
  were you there when Leeds
  United lost 3 in a row

nothing came together after
  you closed the door
  and you bludgeoned me

okay            okay            okay you broke
  me colored me bloody red
  and time ticked upwards

two months passed and the manager
  is sacked but with a
  hefty price

we walked hand in hand down
  Brighton but now you refuse
  to even recognize me

you bludgeoned me to the brink
  of extinction but I came
  crawling back -

- but not to you
  okay            okay            okay I woke up
  breathing finally breathing

the salty ocean air cleared
  my conscience and I forgave
  you at Brighton in 1976

but you don't know that
  we haven't talked since
  you closed the door

will you grovel in front of me
  will you apologize to me
okay            okay            okay

I forgive you and it's about
  time you knew - it's 1982
  and I hate it a lot

2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate how you used the French meaning of "souvenir" which means to 'remember' with the American souvenir - a memorabilia of a location (or a memory) very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate how you used the French meaning of "souvenir" which means to 'remember' with the American souvenir - a memorabilia of a location (or a memory) very clever.

    ReplyDelete